Friends of Wheeling Newsletter
Two virtual tours are planned for this month. Both will be available live on the Friends of Wheeling Facebook page and then later, on YouTube.
1. 3:00 pm, Saturday, March 13 – update on activities at the Scottish Rite. We’ll learn about progress on the window restoration workshop and the upcoming plaster workshop. In addition to housing these workshops, this building may soon be open for events.
2. 10:30 am, Saturday, March 20 – “before” tour of 807 Main Street, the Stifel-Kossuth House. Plans are underway for the renovation of this beautiful home, originally owned by dry goods merchant George E. Stifel and later by famed photographer George Kossuth. The house was divided into several apartments in later years, but may soon be returned to its original splendor.
Our virtual tour from last month, 79-81 46 Street, South Wheeling, can be seen at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G03NuoMzmlI&feature=youtu.be
The developer of this property, Kenny Sexton, was this year’s Friends’ nominee for WV History Hero. The History Day event at the WV Legislature was held virtually this year. Awardees (including another FoW member, Wendy Elswick, nominated by the Wheeling Area Genealogical Society) can be seen at:
Congratulations to this year’s winners!
Volunteer Wheeling – a group of intrepid volunteers have been working to fill in some gaps to make Wheeling a better place. Original tasks taken on included trash pickup, weeding of public areas, and painting curbs. For the coming year, some art-based projects and some non-physical jobs, such as work to help the library with document assistance, will be added. If you’d like to join in, go to the Volunteer Wheeling Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Volunteer-Wheeling-101562291695183/ for more information.
Online Genealogy Series
The Wheeling Area Genealogical Society (WAGS) will soon offer a series of live, online genealogy classes using Zoom (a free, downloadable program for participants). These classes will begin with a focus on Wheeling, but many of the methods shown will apply to other locations. The classes will be offered at the group’s regular meeting day and time (1:00 pm on the second Saturday of the month) beginning with Saturday, March 13, 2021. If you are interested in attending, send your email to email@example.com. You will then be sent log-in information prior to each session.
WAGS membership ($10/year) isn’t required to attend the classes. However, members have access to several valuable resources. To join, go to wagswv.org and click on Registration and scroll down to Membership Application.
Do you order items from Amazon? If so, you can designate Friends of Wheeling as a charitable organization to support. The process is very easy:
· Instead of amazon.com, go to smile.amazon.com
· Log-in as you normally would
· Click on the Supporting button (upper left)
· Select Friends of Wheeling
The price of the item that you’re ordering is exactly the same, there is absolutely no additional charge to you or to Friends of Wheeling, and Friends of Wheeling will receive 0.5% of the price of qualified purchases.